Monday, December 12, 2011

Girl Problems

It's funny how there are weeks that go by with no spikes, and very little amounts of OCD when you find yourself feeling completely normal. Then, bam, it hits and the doubting rolls back in. Tonight I started searching the internet for reassurance that what I have is actually OCD and was comparing myself to those with physical compulsions (I have Pure O) thinking that "maybe I don't even have OCD, is what I have even related, it is so much different". After browsing through posts on stuck in a doorway I am feeling much better. It's just frustrating. The most frustrating thing about it is that this 5 days of the month I have very little to no control over my OCD. Yes, for all you ladies reading I am talking about hormones. I could write a weeks worth of posts on what my hormones do to my OCD, and probably will eventually, but let's just say it is like clockwork. I was at therapy on Thursday, where I had my first session of ERP. I was on top of the world and telling my therapist how great I had been doing, how few spikes I had been having, and how much progress I had been making with exposing myself to fears. I put my hierarchy together on note cards and she walked me through almost all of them with imaginal scripts. I barely had any anxiety. It was great. Almost like the OCD has never been there. Then, I went home that night and was watching Law and Order and an episode about a transgender came on. There it went. I immediately started ruminating and questioning whether or not that was a possibility for me. Maybe since I was such a tomboy when I was little it really just meant I wanted to be a man, which would explain why I think I am a lesbian, because I really should be a man anyways. I was so bummed. I had been having so many good days and then all of the sudden a TV show spiked me (granted, not nearly as bad as it would have 6 weeks ago...so I know there is still a ton of improvement). I then went to bed that night and for some reason was thinking about my therapist and decided to look her up online. I came across a site that listed all of her specialties and they included things like gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual individuals. Well, as you can imagine...spike central. I started thinking what if she is a lesbian and I have been saying all of these things to her and offending her. I ran through all the conversations we had in my head trying to figure out if she had said anything that hinted to the fact that she might be gay. So dumb.

Needless to say, I was tad bit frustrated. But, I immediately put the puzzle pieces together when I noticed a few other tall tale signs. It was about to be my favorite five days of the month (insert sarcasm here). It is honestly like clockwork. My hormones fluctuate and the OCD creeps back in. I have been trying to push myself through it, since it is a good time to work on ERP because my OCD is at a higher level than it has been for the past few weeks. Tonight I watched an episode on Oprah called "Pray the Gay Away". I kept telling myself that I accept the possibility that any of the things I saw on the show could happen to me, and if they did, I would handle them when necessary.  The hard part for me though, is that my anxiety is so much lower now that I am on meds. I find that I have very little anxiety and more simply just lots and lots of rumination. The times when my OCD latches onto some "new thought" is really the only time I experience the anxiety I used to. This of course just adds to the OCD because I try to figure out why I don't have the anxiety. Anyways, enough rambling. I am going to start posting lots of things about my ERP, what kind of exposures I am doing, and what is and isn't helping. I am very excited to start moving in this direction and also very excited for these five days to be over so I can really get on top of things again. Goodnight All. I hope this post finds you well :)

P.S. I love how my OCD tells me throughout the entirety of this post that I am just over exaggerating, making things up, and trying to elude everyone. So pleasant. Do any of you find that when you blog about things you have that voice in the back of your head making you doubt even what you're writing?

9 comments:

  1. "Tonight I started searching the internet for reassurance that what I have is actually OCD and was comparing myself to those with physical compulsions (I have Pure O) thinking that "maybe I don't even have OCD, is what I have even related, it is so much different"."

    ^^ That completely hit home for me. I feel the same way, so often. And yes, I end up at SIAD, as well!

    "Do any of you find that when you blog about things you have that voice in the back of your head making you doubt even what you're writing?"
    ^^ Yes, yes, and YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply :) It's funny how OCD manages to manifest itself so similarly in all of us. And we all realize that...BUT still have days where we don't believe it! It's really a tricky little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all - you should read my most recent blog post - it's about PMS too. My OCD is HORRIBLE around that time of the month. Secondly, I've written a few blog posts about doubting that I have OCD. Dr. Grayson's wrote a great post about this on his blog. It does come down to accepting the uncertainty though. I hate to say it but SIAD is all about getting reassurance. Hang in there - looking forward to hearing about your ERP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I'm a first time poster. I was diagnosed with pure o yesterday, so I'm new. I basically have the same obsessional theme with some added heath anxiety thrown in for fun. I stumbled upon your blog and I was so amazed that there are other people out there who know exactly what it's like when OCD takes over.

    So thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience, it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blogging world Purely OCD me! :) There are lots of people you can learn things from on here..it has helped me greatly. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading about your ERP Therapy and I'm so glad so many people are writing and talking about their experiences with this therapy......I feel like the word is really starting to spread that it is a great treatment choice for OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the welcome. I have my first post up! check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have totally had the "maybe I'm secretly a man, which would totally explain why I am feeling all of this fear." I think deep down we are trying to make sense of something that just doesn't make sense, and none of us are ok not having an answer. Too much thinking about thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OCD is tricky. Sometimes I'll feel so good in my doctor's office, and I know I'm giving a positive impression about how I'm doing. Later the same day, I'll be back in the midst of OCD or other anxiety/depression. It sounds like you are gathering your tools and building your resources with your therapy to deal with the OCD. That's great!

    ReplyDelete